Everything you need to know about a Student VISA in the UK
All foreign students who wish to study in the United Kingdom must obtain a (Tier 4) student visa in the UK. This type of visa is applicable only to students who apply for a full-time course in the UK. This visa is not available for any short time course or language course.
The right to enter the UK territory, whether permanently or temporarily, is hereby granted through a visa. Student visa in the UK is a permitted document given by the UK embassy or consulate.
If you intend to come to study in the UK though a new standard guidance of Student Visa in the UK and want to stay longer then you will find the visa complexity and its solution through this guideline.
If you are a citizen of any country rather than European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland you need a student VISA to enter UK with intention of continuing your study. Your course length, type and place of study affect which visa to use for. There are 3 types of Student Visas.
- A short-term study visa will allow you to stay for 6 months or 11 months depending on the type of your course.
- A TIER 4 general student visa is for a longer time course. In this case you need to be sponsored by a licensed college or university and have a confirmed place either offered from the university or you have your reference of own. This VISA will allow you to work as well
- A child student visa is for 4 to 17 year olds who want to enter at an independent school. If you’re 16 or over, you might get allowed to work in this visa.
In this article we will talk about all the aspects of a TIER 4 General student visa.
• If you are over 16 You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa, you also have to ensure few more things.
• You must have an offer from an institute for a course.
• You must ensure you can speak, read, write and understand English
• You have a solvent financial support to continue your full study in UK.
• You are not from European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
• You meet the other eligibility requirements by the institute
When should you apply for Student Visa in the UK?
The best time to apply for a VISA is 3 months prior to your course starting date. You might expect a call within 3 weeks after applying.
Fees and costs for Student VISA in the UK
- Healthcare surcharge
You’ll even have to pay the healthcare surcharge as a part of your application along with the VISA fee. Contact our experts to know the current fees you will have to pay while applying.
How long you’ll be able to stay by Student VISA in the UK
You get to complete the course and also get 2 years of working permit right after completing your course excluding your internship if you have any.
What you’ll be able to and can’t do
|You can||You cannot|
|Study as per your applied program|
work while you are in UK· Apply from inside or outside UK· Apply to extend your staying period· Apply for a job depending on your course content·
You may be able to bring members of the family in UK(dependants).
|work in certain jobs, for instance professional sportsperson or sports coach|
study at an academy or an institute which is authority-funded (also referred to as a maintained school)
Eligibility for Student VISA in the UK
To be eligible to apply for the visa, You must have:
• An unconditional offer from a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor known as Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number
• Financial solvency to run your studies
• You should be able to speak, read, write and understand English to the required level
• For short term study visa, you must show the intention to leave the UK within 30 days of the end of your study.
Documents required for Tier 4 Student VISA in the UK
When applying for your Tier 4 visa, you may generally need:
- A current passport or other valid travel documentation
- Evidence of funds for your living expenses for the duration of your course
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number and related documents: Your education provider will send you a reference number called a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) once they’ve offered you a place on a course.
- Passport-sized colour photograph
- Tuberculosis screening result (if required)
*Please note that these are the essential requirements, speak together with our experts for an in depth list of documents required for visa processing.
English language requirements student visa in the UK
To prove your knowledge over communication skill using English, you’ll have to provide evidence of proficiency. This only applies to those who are applying from a country with first language anything other than English.
The minimum Requirement for Tier 4 (General) student visa – degree level and above is 5.5 overall, and in each of the four skill. Although some of the universities do compromise on this requirement.
The Application for student visa in the UK
The application of Tier 4 General student visa in the UK must be done online and You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken in the visa application center as a part of the application. Our counsellors and application experts will help you through the whole application process.
Application for Student Visa can be made online, by post or in person. The online application should be taken care of the two most important thing
- You can apply online when you are outside the UK , Channel Islands and the Isle of Man(except North Korea).
- While living in the UK you must apply by post or in person.
You can always contact us for a free counselling session, and we can guide you on how to go through the entire visa application process.
Still, Have Any Questions on Mind?
Related Blog Post: