How to get PR in the UK after finishing your studies | 5 easy steps to catch your dream

How to get PR

How to get PR in the UK

(Permanent Residence)

The UK is one of the best choices for pursuing education as it is a great blend of people from around the world. It is also student-friendly and is amongst the leaders in almost all sectors. The United Kingdom has a total of 12 universities in the list of the top 100 universities in the world. England has the famous Oxford and Cambridge, which are very well known across the world and are over 8 centuries old.

The UK is a diverse blend of various cultures and the main religions are Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism. The rich and ancient history and a modern democracy make the United Kingdom a conducive place for Higher Education. The United Kingdom welcomes these students wholeheartedly to study and also be a permanent resident.

Everyone wants to know how to get PR in the UK after completing the study. Academic Education describes here how to get PR in the UK by following the  5 easy steps. They are the following:

Step-1: Securing an Admission to the UK University

To get PR in the UK first step will be to get admission to the UK University. Study in the UK is the greatest decision any students could ever make because the UK is worldly empowered by their quality higher education, facilities, and global connection. The decision to move from one country to another for higher education is undoubtedly a big decision. We think that such a decision should be made only after enormous analysis, that’s why academic education will answer your every query regarding studying in the UK.

Every year around 5000000+ International students come to the UK to study. This is surprisingly a large number but there are many factors, including personal, social, and economic reasons for such a huge number of students who come to study in the UK.



Step-2: Get a Student Visa

In the context of how to get PR in the UK this is the most important part for international students. For the Tier 4 Student Visa, all the documents required are put up on the UKVI website which usually includes the Passport, photos, the University Admit, and the UK address. You need to get a medical certificate ruling you tuberculosis-free. The visa application fee is £348 and there is a healthcare charge of £150 per year which shows that you are medically fit.

Once your identity is confirmed, then they can decide to grant you a Tier-4 Visa which is the student Visa.  For shorter courses which last about 6 months, there is the short term study visa, which is valid for 6 months and can be extended to about 11 months.

Step-3: Working While Studying

It is very easy for students to find an internship. Students of Tier-4 Visa can work for up to 20 hours per week and full time during summer and Christmas and can earn about 1200 to 1500 pounds a month. An internship will not only provide money but will also help to improve your resume. This is another important part of how to get PR in the UK working while studying

Step-4: Getting Employed

The Post Study Work Visa (PSW in short) in the UK allows international students to stay in the United Kingdom even after their graduation so that they may find work over there for at least 2 years. The new rules for the visa are going to affect all the international students who’re going to start their studies in autumn 2020 or afterward. After the completion of their graduation, if they get a PSW visa, they will be allowed to do any job they will be able to find, for the first two years. And afterward, their goal will be transit into a general work visa.

In the context of how to get PR in the UK this is the most important part for international students.  Apart from this, the UK has a Tier-1 , Tier-2 and Tier-5 Visa which allows international students to set up a business and is the graduate entrepreneur visa. In All the biggest companies in the world have their offices across the United Kingdom. After completion of a degree, UK welcomes international students to work there. Students can apply for a job of their liking. The visa requirements for permanent working in the UK is a Tier-2 Visa.

More than 7,000 international students switch from the Tier-4 Student Visa to a Tier-2 Work Visa every year. According to the current set of rules, students have to wait until they get their degree to apply for a Tier-2 visa.

The Tier-5 is a work visa for Tier-4 student visa holders to undergo professional training or work experience.

How to get PR in the UK
How to get PR in the UK

Step-5: Becoming a Permanent Resident

Becoming a permanent resident for international students is securing the “indefinite leave to remain (ILR) Visa”. After 5 years of completing a graduate job, a person can apply for the ILR. A stable income along with a full-time job, good moral conduct with no criminal record will help in securing the ILR visa. People also have to pass the Knowledge of Life in the UK test and a recognized English Language test. The entire process of obtaining the ILR visa can take up to 6 months.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q. How can I get PR for UK after a student visa?

To get PR in the UK, one needs to demonstrate stable income along with a full-time job and good moral conduct. For a strong CV and to boost his/her employment prospects, the student should work while learning through internships. Upon finishing their studies, they should get a full-time job. After 5 years of working, one can apply for the ‘indefinite leave to remain’ ILR Visa which gives them the ‘permanent resident’ status. They will also be required to pass the Knowledge of Life in the UK test and a recognized English Language test.

Q. How many years visa does UK give for students?

As per the announcement made in March 2019 post-Brexit, the Tier-4 Visa, which is the student Visa, will be extended till the duration of the course plus 6 months after finishing the course for undergraduates and postgraduates and one year for doctorate students. Earlier, the tenure was the course duration + 4 months. The short-term study visa is for shorter courses which is valid for 6 months and can be extended for 11 months.

Q. Can I stay in the UK after my studies?

Post-Brexit, an announcement was made in March 2019 that foreign undergraduate and master’s students are allowed to stay up to six months, and doctoral students are allowed to stay upto one year after finishing their degree. After receiving their degree, they can apply for the Tier-2 visa which allows them to work permanently in the UK. It is valid for 5 years and 14 days. Post-completion of this period, one can apply for permanent residentship in the country.

Q. What is the UK equivalent of a USA  green card?

The UK equivalent of Green Card is the Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), which allows one to attain the status of ‘permanent resident of the UK’.

Q. Who is eligible for permanent residence in the UK?

One who has worked for five years in the UK can apply for the ILR. A full-time job, stable income, and good moral conduct with zero criminal records will elevate one’s chances of getting an ILR visa. One also has to pass the Knowledge of Life in the UK test and a recognized English Language test


Q. What is The differences between permanent residence and citizenship?

First, you should learn about the differences between the permanent residence and citizenship. The definitions for the permanent residence and citizenship varies according to different countries. If you get the British citizenship, you will get the full rights and benefits as the UK nationals. In a contrary, the definition of the permanent residence differs from the citizenship as the permanent residence get the chance of traveling inside and out of the UK without any need of pursuing a visa each and every time they move. They have the permission of working and studying as a permanent resident.

How to get PR in the UK
How to get PR in the UK

Q. Is it possible to get a British citizenship for the international students in the UK?

As an international student you won’t be able to get a British citizenship as there is no specific rules and regulations according to law to provide you a British citizenship only because you are an international student. Although you might have a student visa but that doesn’t help you to change the civil status of yours as a regular resident in the UK. Even when you have the student visa of 5 years validity which is the least required time for applying to get a UK citizenship.

However, don’t loose hope! As still you have the chance for looking up  for switching your visa type from student visa to the type for living for longer in the UK once you have completed the graduation.


Q. What is the Eligibility for applying to get the citizenship in the UK?

The following conditions will describe briefly whether you are eligible or not to apply for the citizenship in the UK.

  • You will get an allowance to apply for the Bristish citizenship when it is 5 years or crosses more that you are living in the UK.
  • An indefinite leave that you have to remain for twelve months.
  • If you are having a permit as an permanent resident for more than 12 months and you are from an EEA country.
  • Your spouse is having an British Citizenship and you are living in the UK for more than 3 years
  • You’re born in the UK
  • Your parents are having the legal British Citizenship
  • You left your previous nationality and now living as a stateless person


Q. Eligibility required for seeking a permanent residence in the UK?

First of all, you will be considered as eligible for seeking the permanent residence in UK if you are an international student from Switzerland or EEA country. But what if you are not an international student form EEA country or Switzerland? Don’t worry at all. All you need to do is check for the chances whether you can switch the type of your visa immediately after the validity of the student visa expires or you are compelled to get back to your home.

Under the following circumstances you might be able to get a permit for permanent reseident only when you are living in the UK for years.

  • You are an EEA qualified person (self-employed, self-sufficient, student or a job seeker)
  • One of the members in your family (EEA national) is living as a permanent resident in UK
  • You have a member in your family who is a member of British Citizen

But you should keep in mind that if you are away from the UK for two years then your permission for the permanent residence have the possibility to be disapproved.


How to Get PR in the UK
How to Get PR in the UK


Still, Have Any Questions on Mind?

Regards, How to Get PR in The UK? Please feel free to contact us (It is free) Or Book a Free Consultation with Academic Education’s expert Advisers.

(10) Comments

  • Royal CBD 11/05/2020 @ 4:29 AM

    You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation however I to find
    this matter to be actually something which I believe I would by no means understand.
    It sort of feels too complex and extremely broad for me.

    I am looking ahead for your subsequent post, I’ll attempt to
    get the hang of it!

  • ปั้มไลค์ 22/05/2020 @ 7:32 PM

    Like!! I blog frequently and I really thank you for your content. The article has truly peaked my interest.

  • frolep rotrem 28/06/2020 @ 5:58 AM

    I used to be very happy to search out this net-site.I needed to thanks for your time for this wonderful learn!! I undoubtedly having fun with every little little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

  • clude muter 16/07/2020 @ 10:51 AM

    I read a lot of posts but the topic covered in this is the most comprehensive & helpful. Thanks for providing this valuable information.

  • Bartley 16/07/2020 @ 10:51 AM

    Thank you for sharing this valuable information with us. The topic that you covered in this post is very helpful.

  • Abner 16/07/2020 @ 10:52 AM

    I read a lot of posts but the topic covered in this is the most comprehensive & helpful.

  • cary stoke 16/07/2020 @ 10:52 AM

    I read a lot of posts but the topic covered in this is the most comprehensive & helpful. This is really wonderful post. Thank you for sharing this valuable information with us. I would definitely recommend it to others.

  • Casper 16/07/2020 @ 10:53 AM

    Your post is so Amazing and Helpful. I would definitely recommend it to others. Thank you for sharing this Important Topic.

  • Jacelyn 15/09/2020 @ 4:50 AM

    This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am truly pleassant to
    read all at single place.

  • Sharaz Ahmed 27/09/2020 @ 6:28 PM

    Can a married student get visa for UK alone.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *